What’s New with MassMen?
Welcome to the new MassMen blog. MassMen is a program created to help men lead better lives mentally, physically, and spiritually. Here are the efforts that are underway.
Build Peer Support Services
Our goal is to build peer support services in industries where men are impacted by significant stressors such as public safety, corrections, construction, and the fishing community. Peer-to-peer support is the best way to engage men who are having issues in their lives that they just don’t have the answers to. The workplace is where men spend a good deal of time, and co-workers may often be the first ones to notice that something is wrong. Having a peer supporter to communicate their problems to provides men with someone who understands, listens, and gives them hope and guidance.
Another goal of the MassMen Project is to improve its website. Some thoughts are:
- A regularly written blog to communicate important issues and topics of particular interest to the MassMen audience.
- Videos of working men in the building trades industry, fishing industry, and public safety departments (i.e., EMS, fire, police, corrections) explaining their experience with certain mental health, substance abuse, or gambling issues. They explain how their lives were affected, how they came to the realization that they needed help, how they found help, and how their lives have improved.
- An online peer support option will be considered to provide a method of assistance to men who would feel more comfortable speaking about their problems in greater anonymity.
- A section for friends and family about how to provide support for a man in need and what to do if he’s in crisis is also being considered.
- Greater access to tips on how to live better physically (i.e., exercise, nutrition); emotionally (i.e., mindfulness, resiliency, relationships); and spiritually.
We Want to Hear from You
This is certainly not an all-encompassing list of changes we would like to make, but we think it’s a good start. We would love to hear any ideas you have about how to make the MassMen Project or website better. If you have any thoughts or ideas, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.